How many times have you tried to lose weight?
And how many times have you dieted, cut out food groups, stopped eating all sugar, cut out alcohol, only to gain whatever weight you lost right back?
There is a reason this keeps happening and it’s not what you think.
It has nothing to do with will power, self-control, discipline, or weakness.
Why Does This Keep Happening?
It has to do with programs that promise results to the masses, but don’t take the individual into account.
When was the last time you followed a protocol that made sense for your life or your individual needs? It just doesn’t happen.
Jane and her weight loss shakes could give two shits about what you need or what your day to day routine looks like. If you would just show some “self-control” and conform to what she says you should be doing, then everything would be fine…. Right?
The reason you haven’t been able to keep the weight off is because you are not being taught how to eat for your body.
I don’t need what you need – and you don’t need what I need. And we both need to learn the difference!
See more on this in my blog Breaking the Myth: Losing Weight Isn’t Just About Food.
How to Lose the Weight for Good
If you really want to lose weight and keep it off this time, you’ll have to take a different approach. Ignore all the people who promise you that their program will work this time!
Focus on every choice in the moment, not in the long run.
For a strong start, try this:
- Eat protein at every meal.
- Add in veggies/fruit/starches/fats daily.
- DO NOT CUT OUT FOOD GROUPS!!!
- Aim for drinking ½ your body weight in ounces of water daily (if that’s too much, start somewhere).
- Sit down to eat at a table, no distractions (no TV, put your phone down).
- Enjoy the food you’re eating, be mindful of how you feel.
- When you start to feel comfortable (not hungry anymore), stop eating, even if you feel like you could eat more. Give your mind time to catch up to your body. If 15-20 minutes goes by and you still feel hungry, honor that and eat a little more.
- Move. Any way you want to. Long walks. Yoga. Classes. Videos. HIIT workouts. Short walks. Biking. Whatever you want. Just move more. Stretch during commercials of your favorite program. Take the stairs at work.
- BE PATIENT! Change doesn’t happen overnight. Don’t give up because it’s not happening quickly. You didn’t gain weight instantly, did you?
- Last, don’t try to implement five changes at once. Choose one thing and give it you're all. Try to meet your water goal every day for a week. If you can do that, then choose another focus area for the next week or two.
We’ve gone so long trying to get advice about our bodies from other people that we forgot one key thing: we are the only experts of ourselves!
Want more tips for a healthier lifestyle? Follow me on Instagram here
Visit us at www.evelynfit.com