Can You Lose Weight Without Exercising? - Evelyn LeVasseur Fitness

Can You Lose Weight Without Exercising?

You’ve read all the posts about weight loss and exercise.

Seen all the commercials for gym memberships and body change.

But what if you can’t fit in time to work out? Or even more so, what if you don’t want to?

The answer is yes, you can lose weight without exercising.

Now if you’re talking about changing the composition of your physique and figure, then exercise (specifically weight training) cannot be ignored.

But if we’re focusing on weight alone, taking in less calories than you expend, will ultimately lead to weight loss.

Roughly 80% of your body change will come from nutrition. The other 20% will come from exercise.


The overall concepts are simple. To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in.

You need protein for satiety (you feel fuller longer), carbs for energy, fruits and veggies for fiber and other micronutrients, and healthy fats for heart health and brain function (to say the least).

You need plenty of water to keep things moving (especially in the GI tract).

To complete the overall picture, you also need to keep your stress at bay and prioritize sleep. Of course, the role these macros play in your health are much more intricate, but we’re keeping it basic today😉

Even though the overall concepts are simple, I know it’s not easy. If it were easy, we’d all be a lot healthier and the diet industry wouldn’t be so successful.

Every one of us could benefit from having less sugar and junk food in our daily diets.

We don’t need it. We don’t benefit (physically) from it. But that’s also not to say we should be forced to eliminate it.

I love chocolate.

I enjoy the hell out of it. So, I incorporate it in moderation.

I eat a square of dark chocolate with sea salt on most nights of the week. It keeps me from having cravings and makes chocolate feel normal, instead of like a “bad” food.

Here’s an example of what I eat in a day:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with veggies, ham, and shredded cheese, 2 cups of black coffee

Lunch: leftovers, usually chicken, ground beef or chicken sausage with veggies

Snack: Greek yogurt with pear or protein bar

Dinner: chicken, pork chops, or beef with veggies and rice or potato

After dinner: dark chocolate square with cup of green tea

All of my meals have protein and I add in fats/starches depending on how I feel.

The key is to get to know your body.

Play around with meals and see which ones keep you most satisfied, or which ones leave you feeling hungry.

Pay attention to how certain foods make you feel. I tend to get swelling in my hands and belly when I eat a lot of heavy starches (like pasta), so smaller portions are better for me.

You don’t have to diet. You don’t have to spend hours at the gym.

Although, truth be told, you should try your best to incorporate movement into your daily routine. Your body will thank you for it, now and especially later in life. Daily walks are extremely therapeutic.

But if you hate working out, and want to lose weight, in a nutshell, focus on getting:

  • Protein and fiber at every meal
  • Healthy fats and carbs (I add them in at least 2X/day)
  • About ½ your body weight in ounces of water
  • 7-9 hours of sleep (on average)
  • Sweets if you want them, in moderation

The easier you make things for yourself, the more likely your new habits are to stick.

Don’t change too many things at one time. It won’t last.

Be patient. Be forgiving. Be understanding that life is busy and perfection is impossible.

Make mistakes and learn from them.

And stop looking at Becky on TV who lost 20 lbs. on Jenny Craig. You’re not Becky. And you don’t want to diet. 😊

Leave a Comment